5.13.2010

Getting Your Little One Ready For The New Baby!

How to Get Your Child Ready for the New Baby
By: Rebecca Henry
                                              Becky at 32 weeks pregnant with her daughter Penelope

One of my main concerns with becoming pregnant with baby number 2 was how will it effect my 5yr old daughter. For the past five years Penelope and I have been a twosome. I’ve been blessed with the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom. It has always been just the two of us Monday through Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm. Now all of that is about to change. Luckily Penelope is thrilled about her new brother and is very involved with my pregnancy. Here are some things I am doing to prepare Penelope for the arrival of her new baby brother.

1: Let Your Little One Play Dress Up With Your New Belly!
As your body changes and your belly begins to grow, your little one will notice Mommy looks different! Go with it! Encourage your child to notice your expending belly. Every morning Penelope loves to help me pick out my maternity clothes. She gets a huge kick out of dressing mommy’s new, big, tummy.       

2: Cooking Fun For The Tummy:
Food is becoming more of an important part of my life. I’m always hungry and I make healthy decisions as to what goes into my body. I can’t stick to the traditional three meals a day now that I have a little boy inside me, so I eat lots of small meals. Penelope loves to cook with mommy, but now she is cooking for baby! I’ve created an easy pregnancy recipe book for Penelope to cook some healthy food for mommy and baby Jude. Each day she picks a new recipe out of the book and helps me make it. Penelope feels important knowing she is feeding her baby brother in mommy’s tummy.

3: Story Time for Baby:
Bedtime stories are not just a necessity for your child, but they are important for the baby in your womb as well. The baby can hear your voice, reading to your bump helps strengthen the bond between baby and you. This is a great way to connect your child and your pregnancy. Penelope hops in bed with me and reads Jude a bedtime story every night. Jude already recognizes her voice and responds by kicking and moving around when big sissy reads. This not only excites Penelope, but makes her feel bonded to Jude.

4: Help Me Decorate:
Between you and me I can be somewhat of a control freak when it comes to projects. I like things to be “perfect”. Having Penelope helped me let go of the need to have things flawless. To make sure Penelope doesn’t feel left out or second best, I include her in the baby decisions. She helped me choose a nursery theme then shop for room decor. When the time comes closer to delivery Penelope will also help me decorate the nursery and get everything ready for Jude. Penelope also loves to go shopping for her baby brother because I let her make big sister decisions! She loves sorting through the baby clothes and selecting outfits she wants to see her little brother in.

It’s never too early or too late to get your child involved in your pregnancy. They want to help and connect to both you and the new baby. Having a sibling is a wonderful blessing and it’s important to make sure that foundation is secure at an early stage.

And When Baby Jude Does Arrive...
Penelope Can't Wait to Create Her Very Own Inspired Gifts "My New Little Baby Brother" photo keepsake.
                                             



Help older siblings welcome their new baby brother with a keepsake that is sure to last a lifetime in this treasured photo book. My New Baby Brother shares all the special moments of becoming siblings.

Create Eco Friendly Photo Books & Gifts
For Families, Friends, Children & Babies

No comments: